BIO-CIRC Bio and Circular Insulation for Resourceful Construction
We are delighted to partner in an innovative EU funded research project named BIO-CIRC (Bio and Circular Insulation for Resourceful Construction). Working with partners from both sides of the Channel, we will be adding our knowledge and experience in this exciting research project.
The project has been awarded by the Interreg VA France (Channel) England programme, which is co-financed by the ERDF. The European Union (ERDF) will fund 80% of the project budget, which amounts to about €500,000 overall (€399,600 from ERDF).
Over the next 2 years (July 2020-June 2022), the BIO-CIRC partners will:
- Investigate the waste bedding sector and the potential reuse of a problematic waste source – polyester duvets, a waste product currently with poor recycling rates and sanitary issues.
- Examine the sanitisation and re-fiberisation process for polyester duvets, with the aim of creating a feedstock for novel insulation materials.
- Design and develop 3 prototype insulation products made from waste polyester fibres combined with natural fibres – sheep’s wool and hemp.
- Test and deploy the 3 prototypes on pilot sites to assess their energy and environmental performances.
- Network and engage with key stakeholders such as the ASBP’s Natural Fibre Insulation Group and Plastics in Construction Group, to gather intelligence and help create a business case for the development of natural and recycled fibre insulation (NRFI) materials.
- Undertake market intelligence of the insulation market to identify key markets and opportunities for growth for NRFI.
- Review the air quality and health & well-being benefits of NRFI.
- Disseminate the project findings and raise awareness of the benefits of NRFI amongst our diverse networks of construction professionals.
Keep up to date with the latest project news by visiting the project webpage – https://www.backtoearth.co.uk/bio-circ-project/
We offer dynamic heat and moisture modelling as well as condensation risk analyses.
Back to Earth is a natural building material supplier. We're not your typical builders' merchant though and instead work closely with our clients during the planning, designing and building phases of projects.